Dragonfly Yoga & Ayurveda
300-Hour Advanced YTT
(for 500 hour certification)
with Katie O’Connell, E-RYT 500, AHP, AYS and esteemed Faculty
9 PLACES LEFT IN THIS PROGRAM!
The Advanced Studies Program at Dragonfly Yoga is for students and teachers who have already completed their 200-hour training and are interested in deepening their own practice and developing their skills as a teacher. The curriculum is designed for those who are already yoga instructors, but you do not have to be teaching currently to apply, nor does your intention need to be that you will teach post graduation from the program.
Many students enroll in a foundational 200-hour yoga teacher training to both develop and deepen a personal practice but may or may not begin to teach upon completion of a 200-hour program. Whether you have decided to teach or would prefer to continue deepening your own practice, the Advanced 300-hour TT offers a continuum for those students seeking more practice, greater depth, and a broader teaching skill set, as well as the opportunity to further integrate what was offered in the 200-hour training. There are many students who choose to enroll in advanced trainings who never go on to teach, just as there are students from various schools of yoga study who come to the 300 ready to develop their asana practice, sharpen their ability to cue, assist, adjust, and mentor their students in practice. The Advanced Studies Program/300 YTT is both challenging and nurturing, allowing each student, regardless of personal intention, the support needed to become a more dedicated practitioner and helping each student to hone his or her ability to practice safely and diligently, communicate clearly, see each student as an individual, and to integrate the principles of the 8-limbed practice in one’s life.
The Advanced Studies Program/300 YTT serves to ignite as well as deepen one’s exploration and understanding of Yoga via 5 specific categories designated by Yoga Alliance, so that those who choose to can register under the YA:
- Techniques, Training, and Practice: 50 hours of study (min. 25 contact hours)
- Teaching Methodology: 5 hours of study (min. 5 contact hours)
- Anatomy & Physiology: 15 hours of study (min. 10 contact hours)
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle, and Ethics: 30 hours of study (min. 25 contact hours)
- Practicum: 30 Hours (min. 15 contact hours)
The remaining hours include non-contact study hours, practicum hours, and workshops, as well as greater contact hours with lead and primary teachers, and each school and its faculty determine how these hours are made up, based on the type of program and its focus areas.
The cool thing is, the Dragonfly Yoga Advanced Studies Program includes a whole module in Restorative Yoga (25 contact hours), Foundations in YIN Yoga (25 contact hours); and a beautiful Thai Yoga Techniques module steeped in Anatomy and the Subtle Body, principles of Assists & Adjusts, and layering in of Sanskrit and Yoga Philosophy (20+ contact hours), meaning you leave the program ready to offer Restorative and Yin classes, as well as learn how to conduct private appointments with your clients and students to best serve their yoga mind, body, and spirit!
The following is a comprehensive but not exclusive list of topics covered in the Advanced Studies Program/300 YTT at Dragonfly:
- Asana: deepening our understanding of foundational poses, adding advanced postures, variations, modifications, intelligent use of props, as well as aesthetics vs. embodiment and appropriate alignment for each body, etc. This includes how to offer private yoga sessions for individuals and special populations.
- Bhakti Yoga, Mantras & Chanting
- Functional Anatomy, Subtle Body Anatomy (chakras, nadis, koshas)
- Art of Teaching: Finding Your Authentic Voice & Taking Your Seat
- Ethics for Yoga Teachers & Practitioners
- Art of Sequencing
- Assisting and Adjusting Self and Students
- Ayurveda Principles, Practice, and Self Care. Teaching Dosha-specific yoga classes.
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Bhagavad Gita, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, and Sanskrit
- Specific Modules: The 2019-20 Advanced Training will offer some of the following: Yin Yoga, Restorative Yoga, Thai Yoga Techniques for Assisting & Adjusting students.
- Monthly/weekly group Zoom calls to share experiences, progress, and to receive mentoring.
Apply now: 300-Hour Advanced Studies Application
Training Requirements: ✓ Completed a 500-hour teacher training with a RYS 500, OR
✓ Completed a 200-hour teacher training with a RYS 200 AND an additional 300 hours of training with either the same RYS or a different RYS registered as a RYS 300
Teachers can register as a RYT 500 if they have successfully completed a 500-hour yoga teacher training that is registered with Yoga Alliance. The 500 hours of training can either come from one school or can be a combination of a 200-hour training plus 300 hours of advanced training from a different school. Advanced training is defined as training that requires participants to have completed a 200-hour training. Applicants must submit 100 teaching hours for this designation which must be completed after completing training with a RYS 200 or 500.